Course webpages and notes


Research areas

I work on pure math problems that arise in quantum information. This means that I spend a lot of time thinking about quantum information theory, and also a lot of time deep in the technical details of different subjects in pure math. A wide range of pure math subjects can come up, including operator algebras, Lie theory and representation theory, topology, algebraic and symplectic geometry, and combinatorial group theory. If you're interested in pursuing this type of research, feel free to get in touch. I'm currently looking for graduate students, and I also supervise undergraduate research as time permits.

Grad studies

Information on graduate studies at IQC can be found here. To apply to graduate studies at IQC, you must apply through a university department. The best way to determine what department you should apply through is to look at the potential supervisors in each department. If you're interested in working with me, you should apply through my home department, which is Pure Math. Note that, unlike some of the other departments at Waterloo, Pure Math does not have a distinct quantum information graduate program, but you can be a member of IQC as long as your supervisor is an IQC member.

Undergraduate research

There's a variety of ways to get involved with research at Waterloo as an undergraduate, especially if you're a Waterloo student. Both IQC and Pure Math have formal URA programs, see here and here. If you're contacting me about potential URA opportunities, it's helpful if you include a transcript and/or CV (an unofficial transcript is fine). Research in my area does require some mathematical background; for instance, a course in abstract algebra is a good starting point.

Contact me

If you have questions about anything above, you're welcome to send me an email. I try to answer all of the student emails I receive, although I'm not always successful. The best way to get a response is to make sure that your email is personalized (no form letters) and relevant to my research area.